Monday, June 8, 2009

i mean really?

Quite often I get this question from people:

"Is she a good girl?"

This is of course referring to my two month old daughter.

I know I did a semi-vent via twitter, but maybe I'll elaborate more since this is something I can express in more than 140 characters or less.

First and foremost, I understand that when people ask that question, they ask if she's a good girl to see how her mannerisms are and how her routine is. Does she cry a lot? Does she keep us up at night? Is she fussy? and so on and so forth. They don't ask that question because they think there is a possibility that a two month old can be bad. It's also a way to form conversation.

I can't help but feel a slight bit irritated though whenever I am asked that question.

Of course she's a good girl. She's only two months old! And even if she was a "bad" two-month-old, I wouldn't tell people the things that I'm not 100% thrilled about... Unlike Nikki.

I told him to stop being so modest by telling people that she cries at night. It's no secret. Babies cry. You have to watch out for them 24/7 and if you ain't ready for that kinda commitment, then ya'll shouldn't be going at it raw. HA!

Here's how the conversation normally goes down:
Acquaintance: Is she a good girl?
Nikki: Uhhhhh, yeah... well, sometimes. There are times that she cries at night and she gets loud.
Me: [Glaring at Nikki feeling a little bit betrayed, but knowing that my rational is over bearing because I'm a proud parent]

A crying baby does not constitute a bad baby. I have nothing to be ashamed about my girl.

For future reference, if you want to ask a parent if their baby is good, think again about how dumb that question really is. Is there such thing as a bad two month old? I think it's a lot better to just ask, "Does she cry a lot?" or "What is her sleeping pattern like?"

We are born into this world as a blank slate. Natural instinct and our environment paint on that slate, creating a tainted yet pure picture.

OK, that's all for tonight. Time to attend to my good baby.

No comments: