Tuesday, November 25, 2008

It's THURSDAY!!!

Technically, it's really Tuesday. Considering that it's a three day work week for a lot of people, it feels like Thursday.

Here's something I wrote about Thanksgiving at Mt. SAC a year ago. I'd post the whole thing up, but it's kind of cheesy:
"Thanksgiving began before 1620 when the Pilgrims sailed to America on the Mayflower to escape religious persecution. Forty-six of the 102 Pilgrims that sailed died that year.

The following year, harvest was bountiful and the Pilgrims decided to celebrate with a feast that included 91 natives who helped the Pilgrims survive that year.
It was a harvest festival that the English usually celebrate during a harvest season, but it is uncertain if turkey was apart of the Pilgrim's celebration."

I wonder what really went down the day that started this whole celebration. Sure people say it's a feast to free ourselves of gluttonous guilt. I'd like to think of it as more.

The pilgrims celebrated because they left everything they knew back home to start a hopeful future and practice their Puritan beliefs. Nearly half of them died the first year they arrived because they didn't know how to cultivate the land making food scarce. The Native American's showed them how to use the land properly. When harvest was plenty, they became thankful for the company that they kept, the food that was grown, and less death that year.

I noticed I totally just reworded what I quoted from my original article.

I'm just curious why did they decide to do this every year and how did it trickle down to an entire nation celebrating this day.

I'm also curious why do men's public restrooms have no stalls when they want to go pee? Don't they feel violated for showing their man junk to strangers?

These are the things I am thinking of Tuesday before Thanksgiving 2008!

No comments: