Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Tuesdays are the slowest...

Practically every working morning, I go to the cafe next to the office. The people are friendly and nice. Total mom and pops shop and the employees seem like they aren't there just to work, but they seem like they actually are happy to be there.

The chef always gives me a little extra because he knows I'm pregnant. Today, he even gave me a bowl of tomato soup. It was yummy, so I went back and got some more.

Earlier, I went to the liquor store to buy orange juice. I was ecstatic because that one guy wasn't there! Instead it was his brother. Or at least I think they're brothers because of their striking resemblance.

I thought to myself, "Yes!!! No weird small talk today!"

Turns out it was even weirder.

As I was paying for my oj, another customer was there, but he was just hanging around. I gave the guy my money to pay for my drink and he told the customer, "We're having a baby together."

Astonished that he would tell a stranger this, I gave one of those awkward courtesy laughs just to humor the guy and I said, "No we're not," and smiled at the random customer.

Then the cashier said, "Yeah we are, she's just ashamed to admit it."

I shook my head and thought, "Oh great, this is worse than when your brother is here." Of course I didn't say that, I said, "He's joking," to the customer.

The cashier said, "She's going to have a good looking baby."

Then the customer said, "Oh a good looking baby? NOW I know that YOU'RE not the father."

Uhmmmmmmmm... awkward.

I was so relieved to get out of there.

No comments: