I kept on complaining to my friends via Twitter, AIM or (gasp--- people still do this?!) on the phone. I was telling them that I am in the middle of no where and that there is nothing to do here!
It's true. There's nothing to do here. The closest city with human life is like 40 minutes away!
Then I started getting a new perspective on things after taking myself and GK on a little spin around town in my rented Yaris (I swear it feels like I'm driving a toy car).

It's a nice little quaint town. People here wear slippers and socks in the rain. Speaking of rain, it is gorgeous here when it rains. The mountains are covered with a thick fog that looks like soft cotton balls. There's a little Old Town here with shops, a cafe and bakery, and a cool store that all the youngins go to that sells Volcom, Hurley, and all the active sports brands.
There's no Target or Wal*Mart here, but there is a KMart (gag). You can buy your groceries at Alberton's which is next to the cemetary, or you can drive further down west to the Farmer's Market where there is fresh(er) pick.
As foreign and remarkably close as this place is to me, I know this is a reality for people who live here. It freaked me out how there's nothing here. I've been to 3rd world countries and I've seen that reality. This is reality, and we are all just being a part of it.
Last night, after the rain and clouds cleared, the sky was pitch black and you could see what looked like hundreds of thousands of stars. It was literally jaw dropping.
"To think how small this earth is compared to the sun," Nick said.
I felt so small.
It was one of those moments where I thought, "How can people NOT believe in God?"
Those stars though... Man, let me tell you. They spoke to me... And I can tell you that the people who live out here are lucky.
No comments:
Post a Comment