Wednesday, June 18, 2008

LAKER FAN, FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE

When a man is at his lowest what do you do? Beat him down to a bloody pulp, or at least that's what the LA Times front page did today when columnist Bill Plaschke and photo journalist Robert Gauthier exaggerated the truth about Kobe Bryant's recent defeat. Anyone who knows me knows I'm absolutely in awe by his talent. When I picked up the times today and read that article, it was like someone grabbed my heart and wrung it out to dry in the heat. How did I deal with it? Scarfing down two Hershey's almond bars and five Hershey's kisses.

So I was going through this piece o shit article with a pen just circling and editing the damn thing for libel, grammar, and bias. I later realized that it was a column (the byline was covered with a sticker and when I removed the red sticker instantly I knew it- this guy has been around talking smack since forever and he does so quite eloquently). Even still-- FRONT PAGE? I can understand inside the opinion section or even better, on the LAKERS BLOG, but front page? Just a week ago, the paper was singing their praise. Yes, there were facts in the article that were true but it was like the times was exploiting Kobe's defeat for sales. OK, that's not a big surprise because headlines sell. Tell me an industry that is NOT shady nowadays. I just feel bad for my boy! Especially when tens of thousands are chanting "You're not Jordan!" Yes, he's not Jordan. Jordan's story is amazing. I still believe that Kobe is the best because look at all the talented players he's up against- you got LeBran, Melo, Iverson, Garnett, and all them cats.

Front page commentary though?! That really ticked me off. Give them credit for how far they came along!!! A few months before the play offs, having the Lakers there was pretty much out of the question.

Anyway, gotta hand it down to the Boston Three Party. They came through clutch and pretty much put us in our place. Congrats to the best team this year.

To all my REAL Laker fans, stand up!!! (Proudly, please). Next season.

In other news (not to digress), yesterday was an epic day as hundreds of same sex weddings took place in California.

No comments: