Wednesday, December 2, 2009

i want your loving, i want your revenge.



After much thought and deliberation, I can honestly say that I respect Lady Gaga as an artist to the point where I am almost a fan. (Are you happy, Joanna?)

Upon hearing her first radio hit, Just Dance, I thought it was a fun, catchy song. Not to mention her voice is awesome. She can actually sing.

Then I heard that her stage name is Lady Gaga and already that caught me off guard. LADY GAGA?! Weird name.

Then I saw her first video and I thought, "What the hell is she wearing and why does she look like that?" I know. What a mean thing to say, but it was all too futuristic for me.

Her style, her dance, was all a bit too much for my old school ass. I mean what happened to baggy jeans and skin fades? Now it's all about skinny jeans with feathered bangs. Can we bring it back y'all?! Just kidding. I've grown accustomed to this "hipster/emo style." (You know, the style that everyone tries to have so that they can be different, but in actuality being different is the trend nowadays?) No offense. I dig the style (sometimes).

Then Poker Face came on. It reminded me of that group Aqua that sings Barbie Girl. (Anyone remember that song?)

Then I saw the video for Poker Face and I was like, "What the *bleep*?! They should change the song to 'Butter Face.'"

From that point on, she just kept on doing weirder and weirder things. Example: VMA's. Not only was her performance weird for me, but what the *bleep* was she wearing?

For a quick second I thought it was the devil reincarnate.


As bizarre I found her character to be, I couldn't help but LIKE her songs. I found myself singing along to Paparazzi in the car. Weird, weird, weird song (uhmmmm, helloOooOo? Can you say "STALKER?!") But the girl can actually sing and I can actually sing along with her.

This is a perfect example of keeping up with the times. Times are changing. She sings a lot about romance and obsessive love. (If you read Twilight, another thing that has been popular amongst the masses, Bella is clearly OBSESSED with Edward Cullen and Lady Gaga's Bad Romance would definitely fit perfectly for the soundtrack to that book.)

It was like a love/hate relationship I had with Lady Gaga. LOVE - her voice, her musicality (when I heard her latest single, Telephone, I was almost won over), I even liked the fact that she is ultimately BIZARRE.

On the contrary, I also hated the fact that she is ultimately bizarre. I was uncomfortable with the fact that she was so weird. What she wears, how she has her hair, and her funky make up almost repulses me. To be frank (or larry), she's scary.

Until today. Today I decided I like Lady Gaga after not liking her, but privately enjoying her music, for nearly a year.

After watching her interview on Ellen (I love Ellen), this is what won me over.


"I like to create this atmosphere for my fans where they feel like they have a 'freak in me' to hang out with and they don't feel alone," Lady Gaga.

OK. For all you guys who don't understand this, think about the reason you like Spider Man. Peter Parker is a total geek, but he can really do more than meets the eye.

"Sometimes in life you don't always feel like a winner, but that doesn't mean that you are not a winner."

What I got from this interview is that she knows she's weird, she embraces it and she wants people to embrace who they really are.

She's an artist in my book. Possibly, even iconic.

I still think she's a little bit weird, but I don't mind anymore.

No comments: