Monday, October 13, 2008

FALL off beat.

These past two falls have been off beat for me. Last fall, it was hectic because I didn't have a steady income, I went from an 18 unit semester to just 9, I utilized a lot of my time as an editor for my junior college newspaper, landed a job at Best Buy (that was well short lived), got the internship at the Trib, and then I awaited my letter from Cal State Fullerton to ensure my admittance (I got admitted). On top of that, I dropped out of one of my classes because my professor was pretty weird (almost half of her class dropped out), plus the San Diego fires caused me to be anxious for a good month or so...

This year, I intended on going back to school, but I knew deep down inside I was not ready. With the FilAmFest in early October, Uncle Harry passing away, some even more GIGANTIC news to share with the family, beautiful baby Isaiah Delfin being born, and then Grandpa Delfin passing away last Tuesday, I think it's safe to say that this Fall has definitely been off beat for not just me, but for my significant other as well.

I guess I should just get used to being off beat. Being on beat would be off for me. I'm like Whitney Houston waiting to exhale.

Anyway, I just want to blog about Grandpa Del's services. On Thursday was the first viewing where community speakers from The MAAC Project, St. Rita's community organization leaders, Filipino community leaders, and Board of Education member Arlie Ricasa spoke about the dedication Grandpa Del showed to his community. Even when Grandpa Del finished quadruple by-pass surgery, he was still going to board meetings with his cane, wheel chair, etc. I can only count on one hand the number of people with this kind of dedication toward their community.

One thing I want to mention was that Grandpa Del played a big role in the MAAC project because initially MAAC was suppose to be for Mexican American families, but with his leadership he directed MAAC so that other minority groups could benefit from The MAAC Project as well.

Grandpa Del was also a leader within the Filipino community in San Diego back in the day when there was a lot more segregation, never ashamed to wave the Filipino flag and back then, waving the Filipino flag was "not cool". He understood the importance of preserving the Filipino culture here in America and it's because of men like him who paved the way for us that we were able to have events like the FilAmFest. One way he knew he could engage the Filipino community was through cultural dance, which is why he became one of the founders for PASACAT, a Filipino folk dance company that is still up, running, and strong under the leadership of his daughter, Ana Cabato.

Before all of his community work, he served loyally to the United States Navy and was one of the many Filipinos who fought in WWII. His ship was torpedoed when he was on USS MIDWAY, and after one day floating in the ocean with a life vest on, survived the horrors of Guatacanal.

Friday's viewing was at the church. With hundreds of people in attendance, it was probably the most beautiful celebration of life I've ever witnessed. The grandchildren showed their love through the expression of word, dance and song. If you don't know this family, each of the grandchildren are very close to their grandparents (on both sides of the family). Each of the grandchildren spoke. Nicholas wrote a poem that I wanted to share on my blog because it's a really good piece of work, but he told me not to and of course I respect that. Gemma's speech had me choked up because for the past couple of years she lived in the Labao household caring for her grandparents.

Anyway, after they spoke we prayed the rosary. Joyelle sang a few songs with her angelic voice. Some more people talked that night from St. Rita's folk choir, St. Rita's Filipino Community, and PASACAT. Then there was an alay, or an offering, done by PASACAT. Groups of people wore different types of outfits depending on the dance suite (Spanish, Mountain, etc). Each group danced down the church aisle and as they reached Grandpa Del's body (in front of the alter), they placed a flower in one of two baskets that were underneath him.

Then Rachael, Gemma, and Joyelle went up to do another dance. Joyelle standing at the head of Grandpa Del and Gemma at his feet began singing "Ikaw" an old Filipino song and that nearly had me floored with emotion. Nicholas said it best when he said, "It was like they were singing Grandpa to sleep."

Saturday was the funeral mass. The three daughters spoke. Then Grandpa was lay to rest at Holy Cross.

"It's just his body," Nicholas said. The case of his spirit.

Much love and prayers to the family, always.
----
Last night (Monday) Nicholas and I went to the hotel to watch the first ever Backroom Sessions. Of course my charm humored many. It was outside, so it was freezing cold! Way to go Kitchie for an excellent performance and interview.

To warm up from the cold, Nick and I got tea at a local cafe. We were talking and it's been a while since we had one of these "life talks."

"Knowledge is power. Choosing to do the right thing with that knowledge is wisdom."

I love you Nicholas. You are really my life coach.

No comments: