Monday, January 19, 2009

Happy Martin Luther King Day!

Today is a day where students and government employees get the day off. I like to do things that remind me of the reason why we get days off (ie, Veteran's Day or Memorial Day I try to attend a memorial service or the Veteran's Day parade).

Today I am taking a few moments to reflect on the reason for this holiday. An eloquent African American stood up for civil rights because racism was prevalent during trying times (ie, Jim Crow laws). Today, such racism and bigotry still exists, however, it is not as tolerable as the past.

It's with strong leaders such as Martin Luther King Jr. who go against the grain because they see that there is a unjustice within the system so they organize for change. Today, there are many leaders that strive for social change. It's all a matter of organizing, raising a level of awareness, and reaching out to the community that can create that change.

It is more noticable nowadays than through previous years that generation X&Y are going through trying times. In my opinion, I think it'll get a lot worse before it'll get better, but during trying times we see people gather collectively because we all have one common ground. LOVE.

Happy Martin Luther King Day! More later perhaps.

No comments: