Wednesday, January 21, 2009

What I did yesterday...

Needless to say, yesterday was a historic day as President Barack Obama was sworn into office. Our 44th president is the first African American president. People sometimes forget that he is half white, but something I read in a magazine article featuring Halle Berry was that she said she came to terms with her being black and embracing it when her mom told her to look in the mirror and ask herself what is the first thing her classmates notice about her when they see her (or at least something along the lines of that). It was a pivotal moment for Ms. Berry. Even though people who are are half black and half white such as President Obama, a white man will still see him as a black man. It's jacked up, but it's true. People are conditioned to noticing racial differences and I hope that our future generation will rise above all this ignorance. I highly doubt it though because racism is learned through parenting and a lot of parents pass on their dirty traits to their children (learned racism, over-zealousness, self-righteousness, laziness, lack of assertiveness, bad hygiene, cursing, etc.)

Anyway, I wanted to document what I did yesterday so I won't forget what I did during that historic day.

I woke up at 645 am knowing that I already missed the beginning part of the Inauguration. I was too freaking tired to have waken up earlier, but nonetheless right when I woke up, I turned the TV on the news. Eyes were on the TV like white on rice. Then *boo hoo* had to leave to go to work.

By the time I arrived to the office, I decided to go next door and watch the ceremony.

HNIC.


I took my doggie with me that day (and everyday) so while President Obama was being sworn into office, I had to chase my dog around the parking lot because she got loose. She took a dump at the parking lot and I didn't want to miss anymore of the Inauguration so I decided not to pick it up. Woops! My bad.

While President Obama was giving his speech, the baby started moving. I got super hungry so I went back to the office to get Cup of Noodles. I warmed up my noodles and ate while he gave his speech.

Why I'll be ok during this recession.


I thought his speech was pretty honest and sincere. He made a point that there are many challenges that need to be met and was realistic by saying that they won't be met immediately. I liked that his focal point was for us to become more self reliant on the resources that we have, and more importantly providing the proper tools within the education system that will strengthen the work force and stimulate the economy. It's like The New Deal all over again. I just hope it doesn't end the way it did with FDR.

Anyway, I can't wait to tell my daughter about this day. Before The Civil Rights Movement, there were laws that segregated whites and blacks. A black man counted as 3/5ths of a person. Now an African American is our 44th President. A true example of how you can be anything you want to be you want to be if you know how to utilize the system in your favor. Gives me hope.

Although change is here (an African American being President--- don't tell me that's not change!) we have to keep in mind that politics is still politics. I'm anxious to see how this all pans out.

We are all apart of natural progression.

My personal favorite of the day:

NAH NAH NAH NAH, NAH NAH NAH NAH, haaaay haaaay haaaay, GOOD-BYE!


Side note... I get irritated when people tell me, "He tried his best." *cough* Nikky. In my head, I'm thinking "OH HAIL." We all know I wasn't a fan of him since DAY 1. We don't need puppets. We need leaders.

No comments: