Thursday, January 15, 2009

To Grandpa

Something Nikki wrote. I asked him if I could post it on my blog, he finally said OK. This is a reflection poem that he shared with friends and family during his Grandfather's viewing. A lot of people were asking him for a copy of this. People were also surprised that Nikki is very articulate.

I think it's a very loving piece and I find it beautiful that words can allow you to share and experss the way you feel about someone:

To Grandpa

In the silence of my heart my soul wept
But it was not because your spirit is no longer here (it always is for I am your blood)
It was because the blossoms of your orange trees blew away as you whispered
Whispered memories of an unheard story adrift the warm waters of Guadalcanal
Not knowing where the moonlit sky touches the depths of the ocean, a future unknown
Reminiscing of bare feet running through the fields of Bulacan
Chasing locusts with a clove of garlic, some oil, and soy sauce
One cup of rice is a weeks ration
At 13 school is not an option
4 women to feed with only 2 hands I bleed
2 bucks a week, 15 cents is all I need
10 cents is all I need
5 cents is all I need
All I need is the hand of the good Lord and I have more than plenty
Across the table you sat
Mother replaced by wife
Sisters replaced by daughters
Your son’s sojourn complete by David
Labao shall live
The waters replaced by solid ground
Soil enriched with your love and faith
A foundation for community deep rooted with culture
A pillar of the family
A symbol of God’s grace
Behind you the orange blossoms fall
The green grass begins to fade
But now in the depths of my soul I rejoice
Because the stories you once whispered now come to life
As I gaze out and see the many faces of the past
Delfin is to Alpha
As Isaiah is to Omega
96 years is a mere moment in eternity
So rest now Grandpa
Rest and enjoy your masterpiece
And share your stories with the Lord
At the table of his eternal feast

No comments: