Monday, August 11, 2008

Exact Change/Stuff Filipino People Like

I can't wait till Bambu releases his new CD entitled Exact Change on Sept. 11. I remember the first time I saw him perform was at San Diego State University (SDSU) when Andres Bonafacio Samahan, a Filipino group at SDSU, was hosting the Rex Navarette show almost 6 years ago. I appreciated what he had to say, but I was too young and naive to understand the magnitude of the topics of discussion displayed in his music.

For those of you who don't know Bambu's music, check out his myspace page at www.myspace.com/bambumusic. He talks about all things street, politickin' on the mic, and understands the dire need for social change not just in the United States, but in the motherland (Philippines) as well.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Image provided by http://bamburants.blogspot.com

I started listening to him more this year after a certain someone came back from Berkeley's "Hip Hop in the Park" last year, a festival that is held annually at the University of California Berkeley that showcases hip hop music and culture. This certain someone was pretty much on the Native Guns nut sack (Bambu is part of the Native Guns), talking about how good they were! Anyway, come to find out, he was right. Then I started getting into it more and more. I realized that they talk on some real shiii... not saying that "lickin' it like a lollipop" ain't real shiii, but hay, it is what is ain't.

I saw Bambu again a few months back to watch him at San Jose State University (SJSU) with my mom and brothers. Rex was also there. Unfortunately, Native Guns stopped making music, but Bambu came correct that night even though the crowd had no energy. So big ups to him for keepin' it MOVING because one's movement will inspire someone else to move and a trickling effect has therefore occurred.

---
This next segment is inspired by the website I came across called Stuff White People Like. This isn't to perpetuate stereotypes or what have you, this is to share with you my culture in a light hearted demeanor.

STUFF FILIPINO PEOPLE LIKE: BAGOONG.

Filipinos who do not get allergic reactions to shrimp and who can tolerate the smell of bagoong frying in the kitchen like to add this extremely salty and smelly shrimp paste to any dish that needs to have a lot more salt. Bagoong, a pink, chunky, shrimp paste made from krill, can also create a sure treat once spread on a green mango.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Image provided by http://www.filipino-food-lovers.com

According to wikipedia.com, "Pink and salty bagoong alamang is marketed as 'fresh', and is essentially the shrimp-salt mixture left to marinate a few days."

All you need is a little pinch of this baby and your daily value of your sodium intake has been fulfilled. Add it to some kare kare and you are good to go!

Note: Before frying, open up all windows or else your furniture will smell like salty fish for days-- and even with that, good luck.

No comments: